Each day a summary of news and information that has been gathered from community partners and credible news sites will be posted.
- “Wolf Administration: $10 Million in New Funding Available to Support Advancement of COVID-19 Treatments” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/wolf-administration-10-million-in-new-funding-available-to-support-advancement-of-covid-19-treatments/
- “Governor Wolf Announces Investments in 27 Multimodal Projects to Improve Safety, Mobility, Local Economies” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/governor-wolf-announces-investments-in-27-multimodal-projects-to-improve-safety-mobility-local-economies/
- “Wolf Administration: Hazard Pay Grants Now Available for Front-Line Workers in Life-Sustaining Industries” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/wolf-administration-hazard-pay-grants-now-available-for-front-line-workers-in-life-sustaining-industries/
General CoVid resources: https://www.pa.gov/guides/responding-to-covid-19/
Dept of Edu:
- “Wolf Administration Provides Updated Guidance to Safely Reopen Pennsylvania’s Schools” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Education-Details.aspx?newsid=905
Dept of Human Services:
- “Wolf Administration to Allow Additional Medicaid Providers to Apply as Opioid Use Disorder Centers of Excellence” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/DHS_details.aspx?newsid=570
Dept of Health:
- “Wolf Administration Provides Updated Guidance to Safely Reopen Pennsylvania’s Schools” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Health-Details.aspx?newsid=916
- “Department of Health: Extreme Heat Can Cause Dangerous Health Conditions in Children, Infants and Pets” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Health-Details.aspx?newsid=915
- “Department of Health Provides Update on COVID-19, 781 Positives Bring Statewide Total to 98,446” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Health-Details.aspx?newsid=914
- Link to Statewide map of testing sites: https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Symptoms-Testing.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0q72qATsxBX9zL0KMErYO_OQZutSgVMY1I4fEEa8-3zcHN_7WixZ-VFAY
- COVID-19 Data: https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Cases.aspx
- Lancaster Stats: (According to DOH website- updated today at 12:00pm)
- Total Cases: 4,951 cases
- Confirmed: 4,842
- Probable: 109
- Negative: 38,491
- Cases per 100,000: 910.90
- The support for face masks is growing. The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the pandemic in the United States could be “under control” in just one or two months if everyone wore masks. Hours later, governors in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado and Montana announced masks would be mandatory in public. As we reported in Wednesday's newsletter, Walmart , the world's largest retailer with a strong presence in rural communities, said masks would be mandatory in their stores. Target, CVS, Kroger, Kohl's and other businesses have followed suit.
- More than half of all U.S. states now have mask mandates, but some Republican governors in particularly hard-hit regions are still digging in their heels. Arizona and Florida, among the states with the most coronavirus deaths in the past seven days, still have no statewide mask requirement. In Florida, coronavirus cases among employees shut down the emergency operations center — a command center of sorts for the pandemic response.
- And in Georgia, where hospitalizations and daily reported cases reached new highs on Wednesday, Gov. Brian Kemp (R) signed an executive order explicitly banning cities from enacting their own mask mandates, which also voided existing mask mandates in more than a dozen cities or counties.
- The Utah County Commission held a meeting to talk about masks Wednesday, and dozens of spectators packed shoulder-to-shoulder with few masks in sight. In another sign that the political tenor on face coverings is starting to align with scientific consensus, the all-Republican council chose to postpone the meeting because of the lack of adherence to public health guidelines.
- The United States, Canada and Britain said Thursday that Russian cyberspies are trying to steal vaccine research. Paul Chichester, director of operations at Britain’s National Cyber Security Centre, said the Russian government-backed hackers launched “despicable attacks against those doing vital work to combat the coronavirus pandemic.” British officials said there was 95 percent certainty that the spy group, APT29, was part of the Russian intelligence services. U.S. and Canadian intelligence experts agreed.
- The White House and Senate Republicans are developing plans to prod schools to reopen by attaching incentives or conditions to tens of billions of dollars of new aid in the next relief bill, people involved in the talks said Wednesday. The news came as the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine said school districts “should prioritize” reopening, but that they need “substantial” new funding to help them do it safely.
Other important news
- The Republican Party will hold a scaled-back convention in Jacksonville, Fla., next month that will include a mix of outdoor and indoor venues.
- Hospital officials and experts say the new federal rules for reporting covid-19 data will add burdens to health agencies and hospitals as they try to navigate an overwhelming pandemic.
- The NFL’s concerns over an on-time start are growing amid a rise in coronavirus cases.
- Young farmers and farmers of color have been shut out of federal assistance during the pandemic.
- Despite receiving billions in government support, American Airlines is sending notices to 25,000 employees that they could be furloughed.
- China reports its economy bounced back more quickly than expected from coronavirus, though its government's statistics are often thought to be massaged for political reasons.
- United Way of Lancaster County has launched a new website, OneUnitedLancaster.com. This digital source of information for our community works in tandem with United Way's 2-1-1 resources to connect people and resources during this time of upheaval.
- The Asset Map is a county-wide resource for all to utilize. If you need to add/update/delete information please follow the link here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UWMAP20
- Lancaster Chamber:
- Website updated daily: https://www.lancasterchamber.com/Apps/Pages/coronavirusnews
- Local Govt:
- Mayor Danene Sorace is hosting daily briefings on Facebook every night at 5pm
- The County has a COVID site to keep up to date with their response: https://co.lancaster.pa.us/1296/Coronavirus-Disease-COVID-19
- Penn Med/LGH:
- Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health COVID-19 Data: online dashboard with COVID-19 testing and patient data. The site is accessible from the LGHealth.org homepage (click “data” in the top red banner), or at the link below. Data is updated each morning.
- WellSpan Health System:
- Meals: Hunger Free Lancaster
- Hunger Free Lancaster County: https://hungerfreelancaster.org/resources/important-resources-during-covid-19/
- Resource to find childcare providers with waivers: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/providers/Providers/Pages/Coronavirus-Child-Care.aspx
- UPDATE: RecoveryLancaster.com Info
- RecoveryLancaster.com, a website stemming from the Economic Recovery Plan for Lancaster County by the Lancaster Chamber, the Economic Development Company of Lancaster County, and the County of Lancaster, is your hub for information to get your business back on track.
- Quick notes to keep you updated on this resource:
- Grant Opportunity Available Starting June 15 - Are You Prepared?
Are you a business with 20 employees or fewer? If so, you can apply for a grant starting next week. The grant is not first-come, first-serve. Grants are awarded based on a variety of criteria. Get the details and see what you have to do to prepare with our FAQ sheet and our What You Need To Know guide.
- Get Your FREE PPE KIT NOW!
Are You A Business With 100 Employees or Fewer? You can now sign up for a free kit that includes a mix of personal protective equipment, as well as some cleaning and disinfecting materials. The sign up is simple, easy, and you will get the kit delivered within days of your order!
GET YOUR KIT
- Best Practices Are Now Available
From restaurants to retail, to accommodations to construction, we are offering a variety of video and powerpoint resources to help walk through what your business needs right now to succeed.
EXPLORE THE HUB
- Grant Opportunity Available Starting June 15 - Are You Prepared?
Eviction Prevention Network
- Rental assistance and eviction prevention services are available across the county through the Eviction Prevention Network in partnership with the city and county government and county redevelopment authority. There are two pathways for landlords and tenants to get help, detailed at http://www.lchra.com/rental-homeowner-assistance/.