Each day a summary of news and information that has been gathered from community partners and credible news sites will be posted.
- “Gov. Wolf Joins Legislators, Advocates for Virtual Event on One-Year Anniversary of Clean Slate Automatic Sealing” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/gov-wolf-joins-legislators-advocates-for-virtual-event-on-one-year-anniversary-of-clean-slate-automatic-sealing/
- “Gov. Wolf Signs House Bill 2418” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/gov-wolf-signs-house-bill-2418/
General CoVid resources: https://www.pa.gov/guides/responding-to-covid-19/
Dept of Human Services:
- “Human Services Encourages Choices to Protect Individuals with Disabilities and Other Vulnerable Populations from COVID-19, Funding for Long-Term Care Providers on July 1” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/DHS_details.aspx?newsid=561
Dept of Labor & Industry:
- “Pennsylvania Extends Unemployment Compensation Benefits for 13 More Weeks” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Labor-and-Industry-Details.aspx?newsid=467
Dept of Health:
- “Department of Health Launches COVID-19 Early Warning Monitoring Dashboard” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Health-Details.aspx?newsid=888
- “Department of Health Provides Update on COVID-19, 618 Positives Bring Statewide Total to 86,606” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Health-Details.aspx?newsid=887
- Link to Statewide map of testing sites: https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Symptoms-Testing.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0q72qATsxBX9zL0KMErYO_OQZutSgVMY1I4fEEa8-3zcHN_7WixZ-VFAY
- COVID-19 Data: https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Cases.aspx
- Lancaster Stats: (According to DOH website- updated today at 12:00pm)
- Total Cases: 4,442 cases
- Confirmed: 4,349
- Probable: 93
- Negative: 29,680
- Cases per 100,000: 817.20
- Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-diseases expert, warned lawmakers Tuesday that there may be as many as 100,000 new cases per day, 2.5 times the present record rate of infections, if the United States continues on its current trajectory. When asked by the Senate's health committee what the overall American death toll might be, Fauci said: “I can't make an accurate prediction, but it is going to be very disturbing.”
- As infections climb precipitously across the South and West, hospitalizations are rising in seven states — Texas, Arizona, Nevada, South Carolina, Montana, Georgia and California. Average hospitalizations in these states are up at least 25 percent from last week, according to data tracked by The Washington Post.
- Because of the surge, states are closing back down and workers are getting laid off for a second time, and Congress appears less inclined to provide additional aid. California, Florida, Arizona and Texas have implemented new policies that partly restrict restaurant or bar service. Nine other states have postponed or slowed their reopening plans. You can see where states are lifting restrictions (or shutting down again) on our reopening tracker.
- The European Union confirmed Americans will not be allowed to travel there when it reopens Wednesday. The United States is leading the world in both officially confirmed infections and fatalities.
- Despite what President Trump and some Republican leaders are saying, more coronavirus tests are coming back positive, and there’s been an increase in the number of states seeing positive test rates above 10 percent. The World Health Organizations suggests at least 14 straight days with those rates below 5 percent before relaxing containment measures.
- Economists say a nationwide mask mandate could save 5 percent of the U.S. gross domestic product. The Goldman Sachs analysts are not health experts, and their research focused on the effects of federal policy on the GDP, but the findings are in line with published studies on the efficacy of masks.
- As such evidence mounts that masks alone would have a significant impact on the spread of the virus, Trump's Republican allies are practically begging him to encourage wearing them. There's been a massive uptick in recent days of well-known Republicans pleading the case for masks, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Fox News host Sean Hannity and “Fox and Friends” host Steve Doocy. New data from the Pew Research Center suggests Trump’s handling of the pandemic is pushing his support lower.
Other important news
- The FDA says it will require a covid-19 vaccine be at least 50 percent more effective than a placebo for it to win regulatory approval.
- Two Brooklyn Nets players tested positive for coronavirus ahead of the NBA season restart in a few weeks. Over in Major League Baseball, several athletes, including some Washington Nationals, have opted out of playing the 2020 season.
- The stimulus program that has both infuriated and sustained small-business owners since its launch in April is set to close with more than $130 billion left unused.
- U.S. airlines will begin requiring travelers to submit covid-19 health questionnaires at check-in. Passengers will also be asked to wear masks in the airport and on the flights.
- Texas bar owners are suing Gov. Greg Abbott (R) over his new shutdown order after infections began to soar in the state.
- United Way of Lancaster County has launched a new website, OneUnitedLancaster.com. This digital source of information for our community works in tandem with United Way's 2-1-1 resources to connect people and resources during this time of upheaval.
- The Asset Map is a county-wide resource for all to utilize. If you need to add/update/delete information please follow the link here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UWMAP20
- Lancaster Chamber:
- Website updated daily: https://www.lancasterchamber.com/Apps/Pages/coronavirusnews
- INFORMATIONAL WEBINARS/TRAINING:
- Workplace Considerations & Compliance
This webinar featured Steve Matzura and Austin Wolfe of McNees Wallace & Nurick as they discussed workplace safety measures, employer mandates related to building safety, cleaning measures and employee requirements, and OSHA guidance and compliance.
- Workplace Considerations: Practical Strategies for your Workplace and Workforce
Learn more about change management, how to create new norms, develop effective communication strategies, tips & tricks for outfitting your space and workforce and how to navigate new realities and challenges of the workplace in alignment with CDC and State guidelines as Pennsylvania prepares to reopen.
- Maintaining A Compliant Workplace & Workforce Under COVID-19 Restrictions
This webinar will cover steps employers are taking to comply with the Governor's orders and the implications to the workplace and workforce. It will specifically address: 1) what do employers need to do to maintain a safe working environment; 2) what are the OSHA, whistleblower, and workers' compensation considerations; and 3) what are the employees rights from a non-union and union perspective (e.g. protected concerted activity)
- Workplace Considerations & Compliance
- “Let’s Go Strong Into Going Green” : https://www.lancasterchamber.com/Apps/Pages/page-slug-92504?formEntryId=22781
- Local Govt:
- Mayor Danene Sorace is hosting daily briefings on Facebook every night at 5pm
- The County has a COVID site to keep up to date with their response: https://co.lancaster.pa.us/1296/Coronavirus-Disease-COVID-19
- Penn Med/LGH:
- Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health COVID-19 Data: online dashboard with COVID-19 testing and patient data. The site is accessible from the LGHealth.org homepage (click “data” in the top red banner), or at the link below. Data is updated each morning.
- WellSpan Health System:
- Meals: Hunger Free Lancaster
- Hunger Free Lancaster County: https://hungerfreelancaster.org/resources/important-resources-during-covid-19/
- Resource to find childcare providers with waivers: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/providers/Providers/Pages/Coronavirus-Child-Care.aspx
- UPDATE: RecoveryLancaster.com Info
- RecoveryLancaster.com, a website stemming from the Economic Recovery Plan for Lancaster County by the Lancaster Chamber, the Economic Development Company of Lancaster County, and the County of Lancaster, is your hub for information to get your business back on track.
- Quick notes to keep you updated on this resource:
- Grant Opportunity Available Starting June 15 - Are You Prepared?
Are you a business with 20 employees or fewer? If so, you can apply for a grant starting next week. The grant is not first-come, first-serve. Grants are awarded based on a variety of criteria. Get the details and see what you have to do to prepare with our FAQ sheet and our What You Need To Know guide.
- Get Your FREE PPE KIT NOW!
Are You A Business With 100 Employees or Fewer? You can now sign up for a free kit that includes a mix of personal protective equipment, as well as some cleaning and disinfecting materials. The sign up is simple, easy, and you will get the kit delivered within days of your order!
GET YOUR KIT
- Best Practices Are Now Available
From restaurants to retail, to accommodations to construction, we are offering a variety of video and powerpoint resources to help walk through what your business needs right now to succeed.
EXPLORE THE HUB
- Grant Opportunity Available Starting June 15 - Are You Prepared?
Teachers Needed for Virtual Summer Program
- Online Learning - July 9, 2020 - August 7, 2020
- This summer learning enrichment program is designed to offer virtual academic skill-building in math and literacy to approximately 600 Lancaster County students PreK through Grade 8 using a high-quality curriculum and engaging instructional materials developed by BellXcel. This program, offered through the Lancaster Partnership for Learning Equity, is committed to providing learners with the digital access and support needed to prevent academic slide over the summer and to prepare them to participate fully in virtual learning opportunities in the future.
- There is a student registration link here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2020SLapp?fbclid=IwAR1GE2jsALuuNQrHr6XiaPXdgfMGV7vBWYRZjb4UMN5OWEUip7EsGF5hGK4
- And if a community organization wants to sign their summer camp or daycare program up, that registration is here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8CW7DN9
- PA211 has recently purchased a new software system. One of the advantages in this new software is the ability of any agency to go into the system and submit any changes/additions to their data at any time. No need to wait for that annual request anymore !
If you have not yet received your unique user ID and password, please email Trish Houser, our 211 East Database Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
She will be happy to get that out to you and answer any questions you may have as well.
It is always our goal to provide the most current and accurate data as possible, however we do need your help to do this.
- I hope this email finds you as well as can be under the circumstances. I wanted to share this new resource with you. Before Covid-19 hit, schools were preparing resources and information sessions to help students identify their Career Path. One of those requested resources was access and how-to’s for applying for Federal jobs.
- USA Jobs has now created virtual events such as Finding and Applying for Federal Jobs, Writing your Resume for Federal Jobs, Interviewing, etc…
- These are available to the public. Attached is a link to share with students as well as your peers who help guide students into the Workforce.
- As always, we are here to be resource for you. Please reach out if you need assistance or have questions regarding Workforce Development.