Rocky Torres has withdrawn his candidacy for superintendent of the School District of Lancaster, the school board announced Monday.
In a statement, board President Robin Goodson said Torres told SDL he was pulling out “based on unsuccessful contract negotiations.”
The SDL board was to vote Tuesday evening on Torres’ appointment. In light of his decision, the issue has been pulled from the agenda, though members of the public who wish to may still offer comment, Goodson said.
The board announced last month that Torres would be its pick for superintendent. The choice aroused controversy, with many members of the public feeling the job should go to acting Superintendent Matt Pryzwara. Przywara, who took over following the retirement of Superintendent Damaris Rau last summer, has garnered support from the teacher’s union and students, and more than 90% of respondents to the district’s survey recommended him for the position.
As of last week, four school board members had declared support for Przywara, versus two for Torres and three undeclared, according to LNP.
Here is the full text of Goodson’s statement:
This morning, Dr. Rocky Torres informed the School District of Lancaster that he was withdrawing his candidacy for superintendent “based on unsuccessful contract negotiations.” This item has been removed from the school board’s agenda for March 7.
At this time, the board is considering its next steps. By law, directors are entitled to five days prior to a vote to appoint a superintendent. As a result, the school board will not take any action at its Tuesday meeting on this matter. It is no longer a voting meeting, but public comments will be accepted.
We appreciate Dr. Torres’s candidacy and thank him for his interest in the School District of Lancaster.