Each day a summary of news and information that has been gathered from community partners and credible news sites will be posted.
- “More Research Points to Importance of Masks, Mandatory Mask-Wearing Order Remains in Effect” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/more-research-points-to-importance-of-masks-mandatory-mask-wearing-order-remains-in-effect/
- “Gov. Wolf Announces $53 Million in Additional Support for Child Care Providers” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/gov-wolf-announces-53-million-in-additional-support-for-child-care-providers/
- “Pennsylvania Arts Organizations Receive $2.3 Million in Pandemic Relief” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/pennsylvania-arts-organizations-receive-2-3-million-in-pandemic-relief/
- “Mask-Wearing is Required and Critical to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/mask-wearing-is-required-and-critical-to-prevent-the-spread-of-covid-19/
- “Gov. Wolf: Wearing Masks Gives Us More Freedom” : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/gov-wolf-wearing-masks-gives-us-more-freedom/
General CoVid resources: https://www.pa.gov/guides/responding-to-covid-19/
Dept of Human Services:
- “Gov. Wolf Announces $53 Million in Additional Support for Child Care Providers” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/DHS_details.aspx?newsid=563
Dept of Health:
- “Department of Health Provides Update on COVID-19, 450 Positives Bring Statewide Total to 90,304” : https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/Health-Details.aspx?newsid=897
- Link to Statewide map of testing sites: https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Symptoms-Testing.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0q72qATsxBX9zL0KMErYO_OQZutSgVMY1I4fEEa8-3zcHN_7WixZ-VFAY
- COVID-19 Data: https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Cases.aspx
- Lancaster Stats: (According to DOH website- updated today at 12:00pm)
- Total Cases: 4,602 cases
- Confirmed: 4,503
- Probable: 99
- Negative: 32,578
- Cases per 100,000: 846.60
- After 28 straight days of rising infection averages, with no solution in sight, President Trump's political strategists are betting that Americans will simply get used to an uncontrolled pandemic before he stands for reelection in November, our politics desk reported Monday.
- “They’re of the belief that people will get over it or if we stop highlighting it, the base will move on and the public will learn to accept 50,000 to 100,000 new cases a day,” said a former administration official in touch with the campaign. The rolling average for daily new cases in the United States has already climbed past 49,000, driven by surges in California, Texas, Florida and Arizona, most of which have also reported record numbers of covid-19 hospitalizations in recent days.
- Trump himself claimed over the weekend that 99 percent of covid-19 cases are “harmless” and a vaccine will be available this year. In reality, even people with no apparent symptoms can spread the disease to others or fall suddenly ill. And the leading effort to develop a vaccine in the U.S. relies on an elegant but unproven new genetic technology.
- Fifty-seven former government scientists and public health officials have demanded the Trump administration stop politicizing the pandemic. “Sidelining science has already cost lives, imperiled the safety of our loved ones, compromised our ability to safely reopen our businesses, schools, and places of worship, and endangered the health of our democracy itself,” wrote the former officials, who served under presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Trump.
- Millions of Americans are still suffering economically after the outbreak's first wave. Out-of-work renters are pleading with judges to stay in their homes — an eviction crisis expected to get much worse this month as emergency unemployment benefits expire.
- Congress has adjourned for a two-week break without renewing the benefits or addressing the new wave of infections. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) plans to turn his attention to the coronavirus when members return July 20, but faces resistance from some within his party who don't want to spend more on the crisis than the $3 trillion already approved.
Other important news
- More than 200 scientists from around the world urged the World Health Organization to consider evidence that the coronavirus may be airborne — capable of spreading through tiny particles that can float around indoors without detection.
- The Small Business Administration disclosed the names of nearly 700,000 businesses that received money under the $660 billion Paycheck Protection Program, but is still withholding the names of most borrowers.
- Finding government reopening guidelines too vague or tainted by politics, some U.S. companies are hiring their own epidemiologists.
- Most U.S. states are keeping crucial details about their contact-tracing programs under wraps, making it hard to know how quickly or thoroughly they are isolating new outbreaks.
- A Kansas state GOP chairman apologized after using his rural newspaper to publish a cartoon equating mask requirements with the Holocaust.
- United Way of Lancaster County has launched a new website, OneUnitedLancaster.com. This digital source of information for our community works in tandem with United Way's 2-1-1 resources to connect people and resources during this time of upheaval.
- The Asset Map is a county-wide resource for all to utilize. If you need to add/update/delete information please follow the link here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/UWMAP20
- Lancaster Chamber:
- Website updated daily: https://www.lancasterchamber.com/Apps/Pages/coronavirusnews
- Local Govt:
- Mayor Danene Sorace is hosting daily briefings on Facebook every night at 5pm
- The County has a COVID site to keep up to date with their response: https://co.lancaster.pa.us/1296/Coronavirus-Disease-COVID-19
- Penn Med/LGH:
- Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health COVID-19 Data: online dashboard with COVID-19 testing and patient data. The site is accessible from the LGHealth.org homepage (click “data” in the top red banner), or at the link below. Data is updated each morning.
- WellSpan Health System:
- Meals: Hunger Free Lancaster
- Hunger Free Lancaster County: https://hungerfreelancaster.org/resources/important-resources-during-covid-19/
- Resource to find childcare providers with waivers: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/providers/Providers/Pages/Coronavirus-Child-Care.aspx
- UPDATE: RecoveryLancaster.com Info
- RecoveryLancaster.com, a website stemming from the Economic Recovery Plan for Lancaster County by the Lancaster Chamber, the Economic Development Company of Lancaster County, and the County of Lancaster, is your hub for information to get your business back on track.
- Quick notes to keep you updated on this resource:
- Grant Opportunity Available Starting June 15 - Are You Prepared?
Are you a business with 20 employees or fewer? If so, you can apply for a grant starting next week. The grant is not first-come, first-serve. Grants are awarded based on a variety of criteria. Get the details and see what you have to do to prepare with our FAQ sheet and our What You Need To Know guide.
- Get Your FREE PPE KIT NOW!
Are You A Business With 100 Employees or Fewer? You can now sign up for a free kit that includes a mix of personal protective equipment, as well as some cleaning and disinfecting materials. The sign up is simple, easy, and you will get the kit delivered within days of your order!
GET YOUR KIT
- Best Practices Are Now Available
From restaurants to retail, to accommodations to construction, we are offering a variety of video and powerpoint resources to help walk through what your business needs right now to succeed.
EXPLORE THE HUB
- Grant Opportunity Available Starting June 15 - Are You Prepared?
Summer Learning Program: Online Learning - July 9, 2020 - August 7, 2020
- This summer learning enrichment program is designed to offer virtual academic skill-building in math and literacy to approximately 600 Lancaster County students PreK through Grade 8 using a high-quality curriculum and engaging instructional materials developed by BellXcel. This program, offered through the Lancaster Partnership for Learning Equity, is committed to providing learners with the digital access and support needed to prevent academic slide over the summer and to prepare them to participate fully in virtual learning opportunities in the future
- Student registration link here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2020SLapp?fbclid=IwAR1GE2jsALuuNQrHr6XiaPXdgfMGV7vBWYRZjb4UMN5OWEUip7EsGF5hGK4
- A community organization wants to sign their summer camp or daycare program up, that registration is here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8CW7DN9