Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health is stepping up its call for blood donors.
"The United States is currently experiencing a dangerous shortage of blood supplies," the health system said, encouraging "all eligible donors" to make a donation.
They can do so at LG Health's blood donor center or at a blood drive (see below). In either case, donors must schedule an appointment in advance, either online or by calling (717) 544-0170.
Red Cross officials say they are concerned a severe flu season could further strain what is already an acute shortfall in blood inventory.
Blood donated in Lancaster County remains here and is used here, LG Health said. Donation is safe, including for those vaccinated against Covid-19.
Donors must be in good health, weigh at least 110 pounds, and eat "a substantial meal" within four hours before donating. Adults up to age 74 may donate, as may ages 16-17 with parental consent.
LG Health: December blood drives
To register, call (717) 544-0177 (note that the phone number differs from that given above) or use the provided links.
- 2-8 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 8: Intercourse Fire Co., 10 N. Hollander Road, Intercourse.
- 2-7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 9: Alliance Church, 425 Cloverleaf Road, Elizabethtown.
- 2-7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 14: Hosanna Church, 29 Green Acre Road, Lititz. (Online signup)
- 2-7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 16: Lancaster General Hospital (James St. Lobby, 2nd Floor), 555 N. Duke St., Lancaster.
- 2-7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 21: CCS Building Group, 598 Milwood Road, Willow Street. (Online signup)
- 2-8 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 22: Caernarvon Fire Co., 245 Main St., Narvon.
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 23: LG Health Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Institute (Seraph East Conference Room), 2102 Harrisburg Pike. (Online signup)
- 2-7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 28: Faith Reformed Presbyterian Church, 611 Robert Fulton Highway, Quarryville.
- 2-7 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 29: Bird in Hand Fire Co., 313 Enterprise Drive, Bird in Hand.
- 1-6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 30: LG Health Women & Babies Hospital, 690 Good Drive, Lancaster.
- Drive-through Covid-19 test site logs 800+ patients - January 21, 2022
- High-capacity drive-through Covid-19 test site planned at Penn State Hershey - January 21, 2022
- News: Friday, Jan. 21 - January 21, 2022